As part of our three-year research programme into the private rented sector, Engaging London’s PRS, Future of London is conducting research into property licensing schemes. As our April 2015 briefing paper PRS Licensing – Policy and Practice found, while more than half of London boroughs are engaged in a discretionary property licensing scheme, with further consultations in the pipeline, evaluation of these schemes is scarce.
With this in mind, Future of London is developing a methodology for evaluating licensing schemes, aiming to shed light on the following issues:
- What is discretionary licensing for? Do all boroughs engaged in borough-wide licensing share the same objectives?
- How does licensing complement other work local authorities are doing to improve the management and standards of their PRS properties, such as planning and enforcement strategies?
- How effectively can licensing schemes meet their aims? What are the challenges e.g. lack of borough skills/capacity, tensions with landlord sector?
- Is borough-by-borough licensing the most effective way for boroughs to improve standards in their PRS, particularly the HMO sector?
- Should property licensing schemes be recognised as a vital tool in future GLA/national housing strategy?
Over the coming months, we will be working with a number of boroughs to assess their licensing schemes, track their progress and understanding their strengths and weaknesses. As part of this process, Future of London is organising a workshop on PRS strategy and property licensing scheme evaluation, which will offer:
- An update on PRS policy
- A presentation on strategies for improving conditions and management of HMOs and other PRS properties
- The opportunity to comment on our set of draft performance indicators for evaluating licensing schemes
Speakers include: Rhona Brown (Senior Policy Officer, GLA Housing & Land) and Richard Tacagni (Managing Director, London Property Licensing).
When: Wednesday, 16th September from 09:00-11:30
Where: The Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London, SE11 5RR (map)
The workshop is aimed at London borough heads of PRS/housing strategy, and managers of licensing schemes. Please note that you don’t have to be running/consulting on a discretionary licensing scheme in order to attend.
To register your interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that places are limited. If you have secured a place, you will receive a confirmation email.