Head of Policy
As Head of Policy, Jo is responsible for developing and leading Future of London’s grant-supported work programmes, such as Engaging the Private Rented Sector, which is running from 2015 to 2017.
Jo served as Director of Future of London from November 2012 to November 2013, with responsibility for developing the organisation and managing the team. She joined Future of London in summer 2011 as Programme and Policy Lead, where she worked across all Future of London programmes, and developed the Future London Leaders programme, designed to identify and nurture the career development of London’s most promising regeneration, housing and economic development practitioners.
Jo is passionate about bottom-up community development projects, with a particular interest in local food economies. Until recently, she co-ran a food-growing project on the Landfield estate in Hackney, growing and selling produce for local restaurants, and teaching the local community about local food production. She was also instrumental in the creation of a community allotment for residents of the Banister House estate in Hackney. She is on the management committee of the Chatsworth Road neighbourhood forum, with particular responsibility for amenities policies, and is a member of the Hackney Council Estate Regeneration Design Advice Panel.
Jo has an MSc in Sustainable Urbanism from the Bartlett School of Planning and an MA in Cultural Management from Northumbria University. Previous work included over three years at the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) as an officer in the enabling public buildings team, providing client support for major capital programmes such as Building Schools for the Future and the Arts Capital programme, and a number of roles in fine art event management and editorial production.
- Engaging Private Landlords in Energy Efficiency, Future of London (2014)
- Doing More With Less: How London boroughs are using new powers to navigate budget straits and deliver local services , Future of London (2013)
- Changes to Affordable Housing in London and Implications for Delivery, Future of London (2013)
- The Future of London's Private Rented Sector, Future of London (2013)
- The Localism Bill in London, Future of London (2011)
- Creating excellent secondary schools, CABE (2007)